Through this project (R24DA051988; M-PI: John Kelly & Bettina Hoeppner), we are building a research infrastructure that enhances the study of recovery community centers with a focus on their utility for persons who were or who are being maintained on medications for the treatment of opioid use disorder.
Evidence indicates that OUD (opioid use disorder) is a chronic condition best managed with long-term use of medications. While medications for OUD (MOUD) save lives and reduces related harms, individuals suffering from OUD tend to be in need of additional services. Thus, even among those with OUD who are able to access life-saving medications, there is a need for additional recovery support services to enhance functioning and quality of life.
Among professional and non-professional services for substance use disorder, recovery community centers are the “new kids on the block”. They are often located in the heart of their respective communities and provide a variety of services including recovery coaching, relapse prevention skills-building, employment and job training linkages, recreational activities, civic participation, and a host of other services designed to help people in, or seeking, recovery from substance use disorder.
To advance the development of efficacy and/or effectiveness research on RCCs for persons who were or who are being maintained on medications for the treatment of OUD (P-MOUD), we are orchestrating activities on a national level to engage multiple stakeholders.
- Engage RCC stakeholders in research-advancing activities.
- Disseminate tools and products that support the building of a cumulative RCC P-MOUD science.
On the menu to the right, you can find links to the various activities we are organizing for this project. Please use the menu to navigate to the pages that interest you.
The attached slides are a brief introduction to the project. Please right click and open in new tab to download:
This is where we share all news/events related to recovery that we come across.
If you would like to share a recovery happening with us, please email email@example.com and we will announce it at our next seminar and add it to this webpage.
Make sure to check out CCAR’s Recovery Storytelling YouTube videos to hear unique and inspiring stories from individuals in recovery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsn6Ozk1R8O2qAPnQ1xVrkA/videos
- Tom Hill, presenter at our 2nd seminar and former steering committee member, has accepted a position as Senior Policy Advisor for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.
- New digital Recovery Coaches training, curriculum trainings, and digital recertification trainings to be offered to recovery coaches in Massachusetts. See more here: https://careersofsubstance.org/
- RCCs in MA will participate in a state-wide, 3-year evaluation and science-advancing process, run by Dr. John Kelly and his team at the Recovery Research Institute.